Dogs are the most adorable and faithful companions we have. They care for us, empathize with us and stick to us 24*7. But sometimes they exhibit specific weird behavior like charging at your neighbors, constantly chewing and destroying household objects, destroying trash cans and so on.
In these circumstances, they become uncontrollable, and you find it pretty tough to tackle these kinds of behaviors. That is why you need to keep a dog repellent spray at your disposal. It is a completely harmless way to keep your canine away from demolishing stuff at their surroundings.
In this article, we will try to tackle the pro-active nature of your furry friend by letting you know everything you need to know about dog repellent sprays. There are thousands of products of multiple kinds in the market, but many of them come with harmful chemicals which have the potential of harming your pup.
You do want to deter their excessive enthusiastic behavior but not at the cost of harming them. That is why staying alert about fake products is highly recommended in this regard.
We will talk in detail about the 11 Best Dog Repellent Sprays first and learn regarding their detailed uses in-depth via FAQs. So, without further ado let us begin our comprehensive review;
11 Best Repellent Sprays for Dogs
#1. Bodhi Dog New Bitter Spray
The Bodhi Dog New Bitter 2 in 1 No Chew & Hot Spot Spray is an entirely natural deterrent spray for dogs which train them to refrain from excessive chewing or scratching habits. It has natural bitter-tasting components in it which do not harm your pet by not damaging them.
This product is a 2-in-1 spray. Not only does it prevent your furry friend from biting and chewing unwanted surfaces, but also heals their wounds and different affected areas if you use it regularly. This spray is antiseptic and antibacterial.
The idea behind this innovation is to make them taste bitter when they chew or bite any surface or component on which you use the spray. You can safely spray it on tables, fabrics, baseboards, power cords, rugs and many other everyday chewable objects.
The Bodhi Dog spray is 100% NON-TOXIC, completely steroid-free and does not contain any chemical additives. The product is US based, and they manufacture maintaining all the FDA guidelines and regulations.
- It contains completely natural extracts. Components like lemongrass oil, eucalyptus oil, clove oil, peppermint oil, menthol are present.
- Completely hypoallergenic as tested in leading veterinary laboratories across the United States of America.
- It soothes discomforts and itching caused by allergic food reactions, scrapes, scratches, fungal infections, and flea bites as well.
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor usage.
- The smell of this spray is overpowering, and if you have a small house, it might stay for an hour or two.
- It gets dried up on the applied surface pretty quickly; therefore, you need frequent application.
#2. The Company of Animals Pet Corrector
The Company of Animals Pet Corrector comes with a unique and brilliant technology which is not harmful to your dog. It is a can of uniquely formulated compressed gas which interrupts their unwanted behavior including; vertical jumping, excessive barking, raging at unknown people and so on. Over 4 million Pet Corrector have sold worldwide.
The Pet Corrector works as a primary training agent for your pup. Dogs are naturally very joyful and excited. But you have to provide proper training to them to control the excitement and to let them learn the proper etiquettes. It is a patented product comprising a compressed HFC 143a Hydrocarbon gas filled in a metal can.
- It contains wholly Non-Toxic and Steroid free Compressed gas.
- Creates a hissing sound mimicking snakes or other animals whom dogs fear by their inherent instinct.
- Capable of producing broad and short spectrum noise which they can hear up to 50 feet.
- Cannot be used on surfaces or household objects to prevent chewing or biting.
- Dogs can eventually grow out of their fear by getting used to the sound of the air.
- Not valid for outdoor usage as they might not hear the sound.
#3. OUT! Go Here Attractant Indoor & Outdoor Dog Training Spray
It is more of a spray that maintains the behavior of your pup. You can use it to demarcate the areas on which you want to make your dog pee or poop. Providing your dog with the proper training for excretion can be a pretty hectic task, especially if your dog is highly energetic and agile.
In this aspect, using an attractant spray can help let your dog learn the proper mannerisms. The OUT! Go Here Attractant Indoor & Outdoor Dog Training Spray is made with entirely harmless ingredients. It has a unique pH balanced formula which creates a characteristic smell for your dog by attracting them to the particular place you sprayed it. We advise that you spray it on a mat or a grassy surface.
- A small amount of spray is sufficient for both indoor and outdoor areas.
- To use the same place for excretion for your dog, you only need to use the same amount twice or thrice in two weeks.
- It has a blend of fatty acids and purified water which will not harm your dog in any way.
- The exact amount of spray required in each use is not available or known.
- The smell might be overpowering at times. Hence outdoor usage is a better option.
- The quality of the bottle and the sprayer is not up to the mark.
#4. Grannicks Bitter Apple Taste Deterrent For Dogs
As mentioned before, chewing and biting can be a severe case of hyperactivity in some dog breeds. But as much as you love your doggo, you cannot let them destroy household objects recklessly by any means. That is why to train them not to bite on different objects around the house, you require a deterrent spray.
Grannicks Bitter Apple Taste Deterrent spray is an excellent option to venture in this aspect. It contains natural bittering compounds and plant extracts which do not harm your pet. It also has a 20% Isopropanol and water base which does not leave a mark on your household objects or surfaces. It acts as a training aid for dogs as well by enabling a bitter taste and associating this memory with the specific household objects.
- Made with a patented non-greasy formula that works well on all surfaces.
- Can be applied once or twice a week for noticeable results.
- Has a mild rubbing alcohol smell to act as an air freshener.
- Completely non-toxic, safe and effective formulation, made in the United States of America.
- Can cause some moderate stains on suede or velvet made surfaces and in carpets.
- Isopropyl alcohol may be harmful if you have babies in your house, hence it is better to avoid it. There are potential chances of fire as it contains alcohol.
- Repetitive usage for dogs who are too aggressive or pro-active.
#5. Emmy’s Best Stop Spray Deterrent for Dogs & Puppies
The Emmy’s Best Stop The Claw 3X Strength Anti Chew Bitter Spray Deterrent for Dogs & Puppies comes with an alcohol-free formula, which is entirely safe to use in the household.
As it is free of alcohol, there are no chances of fire hazard, and you can use this even if you have a baby in your house. It comes with an attractive 14-day training program as a training technique for your pup.
Also, the spray comes with 1 -year guaranteed return policies which you can avail if you are not happy with it.
- Created with a patent-pending spraying formula which has natural bitter agents and plant extracts along with lemongrass oil for a citrusy smell.
- The base contains water, Polysorbate-20, some inert agents and fatty acids which are entirely harmless to your furry mate.
- Can be applied on every possible surface and a minimal amount of liquid is required regardless of the surface nature.
- It soaks up the surface on which you apply so that it can make an imprint of suede or velvet surfaces.
- The bitterness might not be sufficient for some breed of dogs, hence might not as well work in those cases.
#6. PetSafe SSSCAT Spray Dog and Cat Deterrent
It is a unique device containing a formulation of cat and dog deterrent spray. The PetSafe Motion Activated Pet Repellent comes as a concoction of Trans-1,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene compressed gas in the form of an aerosol. It also has a zero Ozone depletion formula, which is not harmful to the ozone layer of the atmosphere, therefore is eco-friendly.
The machine has an adjustable motion sensor technology which can scan the activities in the vicinity by thermal scanning technique from 3 feet maximum distance. It also comes with a lifetime warranty against all manufacturing defects. You can separately buy refill gas cans according to your requirements. One spray-can produces around 80-100 sprays, and the device runs on 4-A-A-A batteries.
- Completely stainless and odorless contents and works effectively on every household object and surface.
- It uses a pet and human safe HFO-1234ze gas.
- Works on all common pets such as rabbits, dogs, cats, hamsters etc.
- It works by a thermal scanning technique hence can sense the temperature of humans as well. You should turn it off when not necessary.
- It is costlier than most of the other deterrent devices and sprays.
- Completely an indoor appliance and cannot be taken outside.
#7. Rocco & Roxie Extreme Bitter Spray for Dogs
Dogs not only do prefer to chew on furniture and other household objects but also prefer to lick or bite on their furs and bandages (if present). If they have any prevailing wounds, they try to taste it and delay the healing process in return. To prevent this, Rocco & Roxie No Chew Extreme Bitter Spray for Dogs seems a viable option.
Dogs generally hate bitter-tasting objects, and that is why using something bitter as a deterrent is always helpful. In addition to its deterring features, the Rocco & Roxie Spray contains Copaiba Oil, which has an innate antibacterial, antiseptic property along with a soothing effect enabling wounds to heal rapidly.
- Devoid of Alcohol, created with a Non-Toxic and altogether Steroid Free formula.
- The base of the spray contains water and neutral agents which are completely harmless for your pup.
- Completely safe to use on furniture surfaces, carpets and floors. Safe to use on skin as well for healing.
- Soaks the surfaces on which you apply it, therefore might leave behind some spots.
- The smell of the spray might be overpowering in some cases and hence need to be applied carefully.
- Some dog breeds have a higher tolerance of bitterness; so you might require to spray it in more quantity.
#8. PetSafeSprayShield Citronella Dog Repellent Spray
ThePetSafeSprayShield Animal Deterrent – Citronella Dog Repellent Spray is a mild dog deterrent spray which is capable of deterring dog aggression and chewing on different surfaces across the household.
This deterrent spray has a unique technology which can spray for 10 feet and has a safety lock for preventing accidental discharge from the can. It has a one-year warranty from the manufacturer’s side. It is also useful for those who associate with aggressive animals and help them to avoid accidental biting and digging. The gas used is completely odorless and colorless.
- The spray comes with an adjustable clip to your belt or into your wardrobe for practical usage.
- You can use this in both indoor and outdoor conditions.
- The formula emits in the form of mist; hence no cleanup is required.
- It has a formula that is safe both for pets and for humans.
- The safety lock does not stay at its place sometimes.
- Its smell might be overpowering in some cases. Also, some people might be allergic to Citronella and should avoid using it.
- As it is mild, therefore it might not work on all dog breeds.
#9. Bodhi Dog Bitter Lemon Spray
The Bodhi Dog New Bitter Lemon Spray is an entirely natural deterrent spray for dogs which you can use to train them to refrain from their excessive chewing habits. It is 100% Non-Toxic and made with steroid-free compounds.
You may use this anti-chew remedy in different household objects such as; rugs, chairs, couch, sofa, desks, walls, blinds, curtains, electrical wires, headphones, clothing, purses etc. These are the hotspots for your dog’s chewing activities and making them chew-proof is essential. The anti-chew spray is also active on plants of outdoor and indoor nature. It does not harm plants as it contains a completely natural formulation.
- Manufactured and designed in the United States of America.
- Created with natural lemon bitterness and fragrance, this is not at all overpowering.
- Can also help in preventing biting your skin and wounds by your pup.
- Made with deionized water and has 20% isopropanol as a base component.
- Contains isopropanol which can become a fire hazard if not used carefully.
- Cannot be considered as child safe as it contains alcohol.
- Required in large quantities and is mild. Not suitable for highly aggressive dog breeds.
#10. OUT! Bitter Cherry Chew Deterrent for Dogs
OUT! Bitter Cherry Chew Deterrent for Dogs is another useful product to deter your pups from excessive chewing and biting on any and every surface. It uses an entirely non-stingy alcohol-free formula which is safe to spray on your dog’s coat as well.
Hence, it can be beneficial to prevent them from licking or biting their skin or wound areas. It comes with a soothing cherry blossom fragrance which is not harsh for your sensory neurons, but it is incredibly useful with its immensely bitter taste.
- Comes in a traditional spray bottle which is easy-to-use.
- Made with an eco-friendly formulation and completely fireproof.
- Can be used in both indoor and outdoor conditions.
- Can leave stains on furniture and different surfaces.
- Some dog breeds have a higher tolerance of bitterness; hence you might require to spray it in more quantity.
- The amount per spray to produce the threshold amount of bitterness is more compared to other products. Therefore, you need a higher number of sprays for each location.
#11. Anti Chew Bitter Deterrent Spray for Dogs & Puppies Cats & Kittens
The Anti Chew Bitter Deterrent Spray from the house of Blue Care labs contains natural extracts and components. It is free of alcohol, polyethene glycol and is 100% Non-Toxic in nature. It is a good option for training your pets not to chew on different surfaces. Its bitter taste will prevent them from biting random surfaces and objects. It is made in FDA approved facilities and has been proven not to cause rashes or allergies concerning human contact.
- It is useful for highly aggressive dog breeds.
- It is odorless and sprays in the form of an aerosol.
- The product comes with a 100% guarantee upon dissatisfaction with the product.
- It soaks up the surface on which you apply, so it can make an imprint of suede or velvet surfaces.
- The spraying contraption might not work after repeated use.
- Spraying 3-5 times on a single place is required for a proper effect.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should you have a dog repellent spray?
Dogs are highly enthusiastic creatures. They like to jump around throughout the household and perform numerous activities throughout the day. Among these, chewing on different household objects is mostly familiar. In order to prevent your expensive and precious furniture, shoes, books and other essential belongings from damage and destruction, it is a wise move to get a dog repellent spray.
Are all dog repellent sprays safe to use?
No. many dog repellent sprays contain alcohol in them, which can become a fire hazard as you need to spray ample amounts across your house. Hence, you should try to avoid those products. On the other hand, some products have artificial ingredients, steroids and harmful chemicals which can prove to be harmful to your furry mates as well. Hence, examine the contents of the product thoroughly before buying it. If the product has alcohol or synthetic chemicals, it can be harmful to babies too. So, if you have a baby in your house, refrain from using them and prefer only natural products as deterrent sprays.
Can a dog repellent spray heal wounds?
Well, some of the sprays have soothing, antibacterial and antiseptic properties as they are composed of natural ingredients. Read the contents of the spray bottle correctly and if possible, search the web to learn about their usage and functions. You should never spray random compounds unknowingly on to your dog’s coat, thinking it would heal their wounds. Hence, proper research is required. Sprays composed of Eucalyptus and Azadirachta oils can heal wounds to some extent.
Dog repellent sprays can come handy if you have extremely aggressive dogs who do not follow your commands. But we do not recommend you use it all the time as dogs are joyful creatures and it will deter their movements across the household. If you are getting a deterrent spray, make sure to get one free of any harsh chemicals and alcohol. Going organic is the best way to save your pet and your belongings.