Whether you are a beginner or an experienced dog owner, you have to train your dogs appropriately.
To do this, you may have to enroll in classes, hire a trainer, or take your dog to a specialized facility. All these cost money, and lots of money for that matter.
That is why you want to bring down your training costs considerably.
This feat is only achievable when you bring in a suitable dog training book.
These are books that are specially authored to guide you through your dog training exercise and deliver the best results.
Being many and obscure, finding the right one might never be simple.
That is why you want to read through our guides hereunder for more insight. We have selected and reviewed 15 of the best books of that kind for you.
15 Best Dog Training Books
#1: The Secret Language of Dogs
If you are looking to teach your dog how to speak and interpret the hidden languages, this is the one to look up to. It is so designed and formulated as to help your dog master those otherwise rear skills.
- Differences between the various tail wags
- What the right paw indicate about the personality of your dog
- How to tell the differences between warning and boredom barking
- What the spinning around, back arches, and whale eyes mean
- Whether dogs indeed feel guilty or not
- How dogs perceive the faces of humans
- Why some scientists contend that the emotional experiences of dogs are greater than ours
The book is filled with numerous full-color photographs. These are accompanied by instructive illustrations. By reading through these explanations, you get to develop some great friendship with your dog.
#2: Zak George’s Dog Training Revolution
Want some fast and hot tips to train your dog promptly? This is the book to look up to. It is written by a dynamic YouTube star who doubles up as an Animal Planet personality. He adopts a fresh approach to help you customize the unique traits of your dog.
- How to choose the right puppy
- Instilling basic and house training to your dog
- How to handle bites, leash pulling, jumps, barks, aggressiveness, chews, and any other peculiar behavioral problem
- Health care basics such as finding a good veterinarian and choosing the right kinds of foods
- Great tricks, travel hacks, and various activities to make your dog excited
- Corresponding videos on the official YouTube channel for appropriate illustrations
On the whole, the book is packed with tons of things which you have to know to care and raise your dog well. It endeavors to strengthen the bonds between your dog and you. It does so in ways that facilitate your dog training and yields more rewarding outcomes.
#3: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Revised Edition)
In case you are a career breeder, you want a book which is similarly drafted by experts. Of all the books under our review here, it is this one which fits that bill. The book earns this stake by virtue of being authored by persons with more than 30 years of dog training.
- Contains powerful illustrations to visualize the lessons
- Teaches how to play with and crate your dog
- Explains the steps involved in adopting a dog from rescue organizations and shelters
- Illustrates how to raise dogs in an urban setting
- Explores the latest developments in the health of canines and their behavioral theories
As stated above, the book is authored by experienced animal breeders. Expect it, therefore, to offer you information which others are unfortunately short of. Moreover, the concepts are showcased in brilliant and distilled formats.
#4: Training the Best Dog Ever
This book is a practical training guide. It takes you through some step-by-step procedures on how to train your dog to tackle some chores. Each session lasts 10-20 minutes whereas the training in its entirety takes around 5 weeks.
- Success at potty training
- Bonding with the family
- Enjoying the crate
- Preventing your dog from pulling on its leash
- Getting relaxed when eating
- Accepting to bathe and groom
- Responding to the essential verbal prompts and hand gestures
- Being friendly to the strangers
The book is based on love and kindness. It showcases a program of positive reinforcements as well as zero-fail techniques. The author trained dogs of celebrities like Barrack Obama and Ted Kennedy.
#5: How to Raise the Perfect Dog
Many authors draft their books out of theoretical research rather than a firm understanding of what they truly espouse. Not so with this one. The entire book is based on the author’s own detailed experience in raising puppies of popular dog breeds. It is hence more authoritative.
- What to anticipate at each stage of the puppy’s development
- Fast and simple housebreaking
- The significance of proper nutrition
- The importance of immunizing your dog and the dangers of overdoing it
- Creation of perfect obedience from the first day using rules, calm-assertive leadership, and boundaries
- How to prevent the major mistakes which dog owners are bound to make while raising their puppies and dogs
- How to rectify any issues before the same might magnify to a major problem
- Unique exercises and plays which bring out the best in your breed
By virtue of being drafted by a bestselling author who is also a star of National Geographic Channel’s program, Dog Whisperer, you may count on it to be very resourceful. You will find it particularly handy for raising a healthy and happy dog.
#6: 101 Dog Tricks
You need not necessarily learn and understand English to be able to receive instructions about training your dog. The author of this book understands that fact truly well. That is why it has translated it into a whopping 18 languages!
- Beautifully designed book
- Features step-by-step instructions
- Contains easy-to-follow color photos of each step
- Each trick is appropriately rated and accompanied by the relevant prerequisites
- Tips and troubleshooting boxes handling common problems
- More complicated trips suggested building on new tricks
In all, this book contains 101 dog tricks. These tricks make it an international bestseller. Moreover, it is also translated in a whopping 18 languages! At the moment, well over a half-million copies have been sold worldwide!
#7: Puppy Training in 7 Easy Steps
Many books are theoretical in nature. That is, they merely showcase instructions and tips without any practical value or guide. This book departs radically from such books as it endeavors to provide a more practical guide.
- 7-steps to well-trained puppies
- How to bring puppies to your home
- Crate training
- Training your dog to use the potty
- Preventing food aggression
- Socializing with your puppy
- The six key commands
- Leash walking and coming when prompted to do so
Its author also doubles up as a proprietor or an indoor dog training facility. With over 12 years’ experience in dog training, the authors have truly garnered the skill needed to achieve awesome outcomes.
#8: How to Be Your Dog’s Best Friend
If you are barely getting started in matters of dog training, you want a foundational book that will help you to do so. This one is designed in such a manner as to help you to understand and appreciate the nature of your dog over and above its distinct personality.
- How to select a suitable dog breed which fits your lifestyle
- Where to get a good breed
- Where not to get a good breed
- Reading a pedigree
- How, where, and when to train your puppy
- The proper use of discipline and praise
- Grooming, feeding, and guaranteeing the physical fitness of your dog
- Recognizing and rectifying canine behavioral problems
- Challenges encountered while raising your dog in your locality
- Proper procedures to follow for wholesome care of your dog at each stage
In all, the scope, authority, and clarity of the book are unrivaled. You have it for your confidence when starting out as a dog owner. It promises some clear and on-point guide to all these!
#9: The Other End of the Leash
There is certainly no better way to learn a concept save for accessing the same from ‘the source.’ The author of this book is an applied animal behaviorist as well as a dog trainer. She commands well over 20 years’ experience in doing so. Count on his work to be great and eye-opening.
- Making use of your voice to make your dog more submissive
- An explanation of why domineering your dog is not a good idea
- Why ‘rough and tumble primate play’ is likely to cause trouble
- How to engage your dog in fun-filled and trouble-free ways
- The personality types that are shared by humans and dogs
- Why most dogs prefer living with benevolent leaders
All contents are displayed in a compelling and insightful style. It incorporates wonderful stories as regards people and their dogs. These come along with some new, accessible, and scientific viewpoints too!
#10: Your German Shepherd Puppy Month by Month
Most books will take you through the puppy training only. This, on the other hand, is a comprehensive guide that starts from the puppy to the fully grown stage. It contains all the information you need to take your dog through from start to the very end.
- The questions to ask the breeder before purchasing a dog
- Those vaccinations which your puppy requires and when to enroll in them
- How to expedite potty training
- What course of action to take if your puppy cries out all night long
- Why and how to train to crate to your puppy
- At what point you should socialize your dog
- How to determine the readiness of your puppy to learn basic commands
- How to undertake leash training
- How much exercise your puppy requires to maintain stable mental and physical health
The book contains in-depth insight on how to walk your puppy from birth through to adulthood. It furnishes you with the knowledge you need to adhere to at each stage of the journey for maximum impacts.
#11: Dog Training For Dummies
Generally, you will have to acquire great expertise to be able to make meaning out of the book you choose. This book is targeted at those who lack those basic skills. It comes in the form of a truly friendly guide which takes you through the various processes simply and strategically.
- Step-by-step instructions to teach your dog basic instructions
- Helpful pieces of advice on crate training
- Safe ways to tackle aggressiveness and separation anxiety
- Tips to teach your dog to behave itself when in the midst of strangers and other dogs
- Strategies to maintain your elderly dogs feeling younger
- Health issues which may disparage training
- Experts whose support you may seek to help with training
The two authors of this book, Jack and Wendy Volhard are globally renowned for the contributions they make towards dog training, nutrition, and health. The book is primarily targeted at persons who cherish dogs as pets and companions.
#12: The Puppy Primer
Though many basic or beginner books abound, none comes even close to this one. You cannot afford to overlook it at all if you truly desire to make a good start in your puppy care and training. It is easy to follow and full of fun exercises. These combine to drive the point home smoothly.
- Positive reinforcement
- House and crate training
- Handling/collar touch
- How to stop undesirable behaviors
- Helping puppies to conquer their fears
- How games teach obedience and emotional controls
- How not to play!
- Lots of new tricks and games
Whether you are a novice or an experienced dog owner, this is a book you want to desperately get hold of. It has that uncanny capability of making your care specialized, tender, and full of fun indeed. Spread it out to your clients too!
#13: On Talking Terms with Dogs Calming Signals
Turid Rugaas who authors this book has been involved with dogs for quite a long time indeed. She also holds numerous classes to teach the same. The book dares to explore those details which dog owners need to know to understand the signals dogs give.
- Learn how to identify those circumstances which are bound to give off stress
- Lets you know how to rehabilitate the dogs which may have lost that ability to read or take calming signals
- Sharpen your observation skills of the dog you have in your possession
- Build solid relationships with your canine buddy
- Enable your dog to recognize signs and enhance your interactions too!
Throughout the books are vivid explanations, summary, and pictures of how each concept may be applied in reality. All these go a long way in enhancing your own understanding of the concepts and how best to make use of them.
#14: The Big Book of Tricks for the Best Dog Ever
Want to access some professional dog trainer secrets? This fully illustrated guide will let you do just that. It contains hundreds of step-by-step photos which showcase how to inculcate well over 118 tricks and stunts to your dog.
- Teaches how to train your dogs carefully
- Nurtures well-behaved dogs and characters
- Reveal more of your dog’s personality
- Improves your pet’s behaviors
- Reinforces socialization
- Prevents boredom and restlessness
- Instills greater confidence in your pet
- Enriches the relationship you already share
In all, the book is family-friendly and provides some step-by-step guidance. It incorporates well over 100 amazing and heart-warming dog tricks. All these are geared towards effective training. They are also pure fun and help strengthen those bonds which already exist between your dog and you.
#15: How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days (Revised)
For well over 20 years, the author of this book has engaged in the breeding of dogs. He has recorded his experience in this compact and sensible book. In it, you will find step-by-step advice on how to take care of and train the pet dog in just one week!
- Simple secrets of housebreaking
- Bespoke programs which suit apartment and home dwellers alike.
- Schedules for puppy training
- How to identify the natural behavioral rhythms of your dogs
- How to cope with any separation anxiety, housebreaking lapses, marking territory, and problems
- How powerful praise and positive reinforcement are over and above punishments
From the first to the last page, this book contains sample timetables and schedules of each step of dog training. It also lists related resources and sites which contain more information to refer to. All these make the training of your dog pleasurable and smooth.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I start to train my puppy?
The attention spans of your puppies are rather short. They develop that ability to learn basic commands at the age of 7-8 weeks only. Formal training has to wait though until 6 months of age.
Can you train a dog not to bark?
YES, you can! You have to start early though. Train it to keep quiet and to speak appropriately. While at it, treat it to be gentle to visitors, strangers and members of your household. That way, it will hardly bark.
How long does it take my dog to learn basic commands?
This depends mostly on the breed and environment that your dog is in at any given time. Some breeds like the German shepherd and the Labrador take shorter to learn new concepts than the others.
At what age should a dog be fully potty trained?
Generally speaking, puppies take 4-6 months to learn these concepts fully. You have to put in some patience though to achieve some meaningful outcomes though.
Why use a clicker when training a dog?
Its role is to prompt your dog to a given concept and the timing thereof. By varying the sounds and durations of clicks, you will also let your dog associate them with specific activities. This is called reflex and it expedites the training of new concepts considerably.
Our guide of the best dog training books ends there. We now pass the ball to you.
Take on from where we have left to find the right kind of book for yourself. Consider your own training expectations and the kinds of skills you intend to inculcate to your dogs.
Also, the experience and expertise of the author matters. For best outcomes, we ask that you stick to those books which are authored by an authority in the field of dog breeding and training.
These persons have the first-hand skill and expertise to guarantee proper outcomes. When do you plan to make your purchase? Do you still want us to help?