Digestive upset is a common condition in not only humans but to cats as well. similar to the others, the disorder tends to hack into the immune system of the animal. And unless you provide the right diet or the best probiotics for cats, the chances of your pet getting back to health are very slim.
The two are the sure means that can help alleviate the symptoms associated and lessen the risk of developing other long term issues. But in extreme cases, probiotics might be a better option as they work faster and more efficiently.
- (1) 30-Count Box - Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Probiotics Cat Supplement, Fortiflora Feline Nutritional Supplement
What Are Probiotics And How Do They Work?
In simple words, probiotics are live microorganisms, including bacteria and yeasts, that are known to offer health benefits once ingested. Commonly called the good bacteria, they usually help provide a balance between the good and bad bacteria in the intestines.
Hence, preventing an imbalance that could otherwise increase the PH in the gut and trigger a digestive upset.
Probiotics and prebiotics are two different elements even when they might sound similar. They have different purposes in the body, whereby the former has a direct positive impact on the animal.
Prebiotics, on the other hand, consists of fiber sources [not live bacteria] that helps stimulate the growth of these helpful gut flora. So, they indirectly help these good bacteria to thrive.
How Do You Know Your Cat Needs Probiotics?
Similar to a toddler, your cat can’t come to you and express that she’s having a digestive upset or any other kind of discomfort. As such, it’s upon you to carefully watch over your pet/s all the time. Then, check for any visible signs that conflict with your knowledge of good health.
For our subject, the most common symptoms that signify your dog is low on probiotics include:
- Regurgitation- consists of your cat bringing the swallowed food up to the mouth
- Painful abdomen– Visible when your cat is reluctant or struggles to eat, including his favorite recipe. You can also tell when the pet squeals after touching the tummy
- Constipation– the cat strains unsuccessfully to defecate and if successful, she passes hard dry feces.
- Weight Loss
11 Best Probiotics For Cats
Usually, probiotics for cats is available in different forms and for different situations. For the latter, some targets to support the overall immune system. Others are for a specific situation, such as promoting gut health or subside the digestive upset and the symptoms.
When now it comes to the form, you can get the cat probiotics as either supplement or mixed in the commercial pet food from the store. With the latter, we can only recommend if you want to improve the health of the immune system or the gastrointestinal tract.
For a cat with extreme digestive issues, though, we highly recommend the probiotic supplements due to their effectiveness and faster results.
With that, let’s look at some of the best probiotic supplements that you can get for your cat.
#01. Purina Fortiflora 30 Gm Pro Plan Probiotics Diets Pack
This is one of the options you can consider if your kitten or senior cat has diarrhea and other digestive discomfort symptoms. It consists of a unique nutritional supplement that will help relieve your pet of the signs using the contained probiotics formula.
The supplement comprises a strain SF68 of Enterococcus Faeceium prebiotic, which has long been recognized to promote gut health. It is available in the diet in its natural and significant form to ensure better and results.
The probiotic also has high levels of antioxidants to help promote the immune system’s health and enhance the ability to fight disease-causing bacteria.
- It’s fit for all life stages, including kitten and aging cats
- Highly palatable for even the picky cats
- Has vitamins A, E, and calcium to support stronger bones and teeth
- It’s safe and effective without compromises
- Can be used to manage cats in stressful situations
- Your cat can use with antibiotics without compromises
- The probiotics are very expensive
#02. VetriScience Vetri Mega Probiotic Cat Supplements
The supplement is another great choice that you can go with when seeking to help improve the gut flora and digestion of your cat. It’s specifically formulated for the purpose and comes in the form of capsules that you can easily hide in your cat food. That’s, by either sprinkling on the wet recipe or mixing with the treats.
Each of the capsules contains billions of good bacteria, which consists of eight different strains from non-dairy sources. Amongst these elements are the Fructooligosaccharides that usually occur naturally in plants like garlic, chicory, and artichoke. They are very crucial when it comes to balancing the helpful bacterial in the digestive tract.
Hence, it can surely save your cat that tends to have conditions like diarrhea, constipation, or flatulence now and then.
Still, the probiotic supplement does assist in promoting the health of the bones and immune system. You can even give to your cat that is already taking antibiotics. Hence, helping counteracting irritating side effects that might occur in the digestive GI tract.
- It works fast and effectively in normalizing digestion
- Very good in preventing gas and bloating
- Excellent for pets with food insensitivities
- Palatable and easy
- Can use with both cats and dogs
- The supplement has a strain of thermophiles, which is very helpful in lessen the risk of intestinal cancer.
- The capsules get hard easily when exposed to moisture
- Can cause serious diarrhea if offered at a wrong dosage.
#03. FERA Vet Formulated Natural Probiotics Cats Supplements
If your cat is highly predisposed to grain insensitivity, this supplement can work great for him. It consists of a natural formulation that’s free of gluten, wheat, corn, and soy- which mostly trigger an allergic reaction in pets.
The supplement is available in the form of a flavorless powder that you can easily mix in the cat food by sprinkling. It consists of 12 different strains of live cultures, with each working on the digestive tract in its unique way.
With the contained L. acidophilus strain, for instance, your cat has a better chance to promote the growth of the good bacteria in the gut. If she has a watery stool, the supplement has a strain of L. casei, which is really good at treating symptoms of diarrhea. And also there are the B. Longum bacteria to stabilize the intestinal environment and fight against infectious diseases.
The probiotic has passed both the USDA Organic and NASC standards. Hence, you won’t need to worry about its safety when providing to your little companion.
- It’s all-vegan and natural
- Contains no artificial additives, fillers, or preservatives
- Mixes perfectly in the food
- 100% Made in the USA
- Can lower cholesterols level and alleviate inflammation
- Good in promoting skin health and reducing instances of itching
- You can use it with either cat or dog. Hence, cost-effective
- They can don’t come with a scoop, yet very crucial with the powder
- It works great, but doesn’t clear diarrhea in all cats
#04. PETUltimates Twenty Species Probiotics for Cats
The probiotic is also a spectacular choice for your cat with grains insensitivities as it contains no soy or wheat. It even doesn’t have cheap fillers or the harmful additives and artificial flavors that tend to trigger a sensitive stomach in most pets.
As the name suggests, it consists of 20 different species of active probiotic bacteria, all uniquely blend to restore the health of your furry friend. The diet takes the powder form, with each of its scoop containing billions CFUs [units] of the protective microorganisms.
Thanks to the contained L. Casei and S. thermophilus bacteria, this probiotic can effectively regulate your pet’s digestive tract health. While at the same time modulating the immune system to enable the body to fight off the unhealthy bacterial infections. That’s not all.
This formulation has a good level of Beta-glucans that is really crucial in improving cholesterol levels and enhancing heart health. Thereby, replenishing your pet’s overall health, activeness, and happiness.
- It contains none of the nonessential stuff
- Protects the colon against inflammation and unhealthy infection by harmful bacteria
- Reduces shedding
- Prevents itching, scratching, other allergic symptoms
- 100% Made in the USA
- It’s easy to administer and mix with the food.
- Although very effective, the probiotic has a smell that makes some [picky] cats refuse to eat.
#05. Purina Pro Plan SAVOR Adult Dry Cat Food w/ Probiotics
For this one, its formulation is more of a 2-in-1 nature to satisfy nutrition needs while at the same promoting digestive system health. It’s a favorable option not when the condition is in extreme, but instead if you wish to boost your cat with extra fiber.
The dry food has a high amount of live probiotics that work in hand with the available antioxidants to maintain a robust gut. It also has vitamins A, E, D, and Biotin, which comprises a perfect blend to make sure your pet grows strong and healthy.
With a real chicken as the first ingredient, this diet is utterly delicious and impossible for the cat to turn down. it’s also rich in protein to help recover some of the pounds your mouser might have lost.
Still, the food has an excellent amount of digestible starch to keep your cat properly fueled throughout the day. Only should you make sure she isn’t sensitive to grains as the recipe does have corn gluten, soy, and wheat flour.
- It’s, 100% balanced and nutritious
- Has taurine and vitamin A to promote better vision
- Good for nourishing skin and coat
- Rich in protein [40%] to promote weight gain and stronger growth
- Includes calcium, plus potassium minerals to promote healthy bones and teeth
- The cat food is available in various sizes
- It can make your cat to easily gain excessive weight
- Contains corn gluten meal, which upsets the stomach of some cats.
#06. Vetflix digestive enzyme probiotics supplement
Utterly cost-effective, this probiotic can be used with both cats and dogs that have an ailing gut. Whether it’s diarrhea, vomiting, upset stomach, or a gas problem, its formula has a perfect balance to settle clear the symptoms.
The supplement comes as a syrup that comprises a blend of 6 powerful probiotics strains and prebiotics. With a combination of the seven, your friend gets to benefits from additional active bacteria and a boost for the growth of the existing gut flora.
It’s very good for replenishing your pet’s overall wellbeing and activeness, courtesy of the contained L.reuteri and L. Fermentum bacteria. Together with the rest strains, the two helps boost the immunity of your cat and prevent various conditions, including allergies and food intolerance.
- It’s very good in relieving gas and bloating
- Help prevent side effects of antibiotics [if in use]
- 100% Mae in the USA
- So easy to administer
- Can be used with cats and dogs of all ages
- Very effective in weight management
- You can use for mood improvement and fighting allergy
- Its dosing is not clear enough as the dropper has no markings
#07. VetOne Advita Powder Probiotic Nutritional Supplement for Cats
Defined by high quality and maximum effectiveness, the probiotic is yet another selection you can check out. It’s not only helpful when your cat has a loose stool and other digestive upset symptoms. But also if you sense signs of stress after changing the diet or traveling.
The supplement consists of four live active cultures, amongst them a strain of B. Coagulans for preventing diarrhea caused by antibiotics. It also has the L. acidophilus bacteria that is one of the most hardworking in alleviating digestive disorders and enabling the good bacteria to thrive.
Moreover, the probiotic does have Vitamins A, E, and C to promote healthy bones for better stability. And there’s a high level of crude protein to help restore weight in case your cat has lost some during the not-so-good period.
- It consists of an active protective army of microorganism and pre-biotic inulin
- Consists of powder, which is easy to administer
- Can help restore appetite
- It’s highly palatable
- Available at a friendly budget
- You can give before veterinary procedures like surgery/ deworming to keep the pet strong.
- It doesn’t improve the foul smell of poop
#08. Nutramax [PROVDC80] Proviable-DC Probiotic Digestive Health Supplement
Packed with a minimum 5 billion army of the protective bacteria, this supplement helps the digestive tract to recover effectively and fast. The probiotic consists of seven different species that benefit your pet with high performing and unique properties.
One of these bacteria is the L. Bulgaricus, which can also be found in yogurt, though in the simple form. It’s usually on the wall of the intestinal tract, whereby it helps keep the harmful microorganisms at bay and prevent infection.
This makes this probiotic very crucial when your cat is constipated as it can help strengthen the colon and prevent tearing. If it’s the other way round, loose stool, the supplement has L. Casei which is the most effective in treating and preventing diarrhea.
- It’s safe and very effective
- Can help prevent the effects of antibiotics
- Contain prebiotics to support the growth of probiotics
- Fit for cats and canines
- Very affordable
- It come s in the form of capsules. Hence very easy to deliver.
- It might fail to normalize the chronic diarrhea of some pets.
#09. Purina Pro Plan [B00164YL22] Fortiflora Veterinary Probiotics Cat Supplement
Yet highly effective and beneficial to your cats, the probiotic contains millions of active bacteria to provide intestinal support. It comes in the form of powder, which you can easily hide in the food. Thus, the little one won’t even notice when she’s eating.
The probiotic has only the E. Faecium bacteria species, but a very powerful one when it settles in the gastrointestinal tract. Its effectiveness is mostly visible for pets with diarrhea, in which case it helps make the stool firmer.
On top of that, the formula has vitamins E and manganese that will enable your kitten to grow into a strong and healthy adult. It also has an excellent amount of calcium to promote healthy teeth and bones, plus taurine for better vision.
- It has high levels of protein to assist in weight gaining
- Can help improve your pet’s appetite
- Easy to mix with the food
- Fit for all cat life stages
- Features hardworking antioxidants to boost immunity
- Excellent at boosting your cat’s stability
- The added liver flavor is not for all. some cats refuse to eat
- It doesn’t work on chronic diarrhea as quickly as we’d have hoped.
#10. Nutramax [PROVDC30] Proviable-DC Probiotic Digestive Health Supplement
This is a spectacular alternative from the Nutramax Laboratories and which you can also include in your cat’s bucket list. It’s more like a variant of the product model number [PROVDC80], only that it has 30 capsules instead of 80.
In other words, the supplement is more like a smaller pack that you can get if you only have a single cat and a tight budget.
Just like its counterpart, it has seven strains of the good bacteria that cater to the digestive system using different properties. While working collectively and in harmony, they help ease the symptoms of diarrhea, vomiting, and gassiness. Then, improve the appetite of the pet and restore his strength and activeness.
Another thing, the probiotic also contains a significant amount of healthy prebiotics to enhance the growth of these good microorganisms.
- The supplement is very easy to give by hiding in treats or sprinkling on food
- It’s fit for dogs and cats
- Has gelatin for increased brain function and nourish the skin
- Can lower the risk of chronic infections [with L. Bulgaricus bacteria]
- Relatively affordable
- It includes a source of vitamin C to boost the immune system health
- It doesn’t work on some pets
#11. Purina Pro Plan LiveClear Adult Dry Cat Food w/ Probiotics
Although the last one on our list, this piece is truly delicious, nutritious, and an amazing choice for your cat with digestive issues. It features a real chicken as the first ingredient and the main source of protein. So, you won’t need to worry about weight management and the general growth of your pet.
For the digestive system, the cat food features live and hardworking probiotics that balance the intestinal PH and enhance immune health. It does have carbs to support the active lifestyle of your precious kitty. And also the maker didn’t forget to include omega-6-fatty acids, which works in hand with vitamin A to nourish the skin.
- It features small kibble that is easy to pick
- Great in promoting healthy vision
- Highly palatable and
- Enable your cut to develop strong and lean muscles
- Delivers excellent digestive support
- It works on decreasing allergens in the cat hair ad dander.
- It’s quite expensive when you have multiple cats or if you need to feed as an everyday diet.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I share human probiotics with my cat?
Although they might have a similar task, human and animal probiotics don’t have the same formulation or concentration. As such, you never give your cat the same probiotics that you’re using.
After how long can one see results from probiotics for cats?
Just like any other prescription, don’t expect the probiotics for your cat to start working immediately. They usually can take some time to take effect on the body, but you might notice minor improvements in the first few days. For full effects, however, supplements like FortiFlora will show results after one or two weeks.
Can you give your cat prebiotics and antibiotics at the same time?
Basically, antibiotics are drugs that kill disease-causing bacteria to help stop infections. But since the substance can tell which is the good or bad bacteria, sometimes probiotics might end-up being destroyed in the process. hence, the reason it’s good to use both when managing your pet’s ailment.
Even so, you shouldn’t give your cat or dog the two at the same time as they can counteract. You’ll need to give one first, then wait for some moment to dose the other.
If you’re passionate about your pet, the last thing you’d want is to see him/ her struggling to relieve himself. It can also be very uncomfortable to share the room if that friend is shooting some foul farts or uncontrollably defecating a very smelly, watery stool.
With the right cat probiotics, however, you truly can help curtail digestive issues in your cat and enhance his wellbeing.
Our article has reviewed the various products that can help you with that. We duly hope you found the solution that you were looking for.